Monday 24 October 2011

Travelling

I'm at the airport. Again. I don't mind flying but I really dislike airports. Especially driving to/from airports - they always make it so complicated!

I've been in Melbourne for a conference this weekend. Typical Melbourne, we had one day of incredible weather, with the 2 other days being miserable!

I did the 4.2 km spring into shape yesterday, and ran 18:03. I'm really happy with my time, but not so happy with how I ran the race. I got there early enough and did a good warm up. I managed to start in about the position I though suited my speed, and I noticed a girl with a nsw ccc top on so she looked like a semi serious runner. I ran the first km just behind her which was great because it was just under 4min pace. The second km was down to 4:44, which serves me right for not trusting my own pacing! I was thinking it felt easy but I didn't realize it was quite that easy! After this I overtook the girl (and a fair few other females that went out too hard), and ended up 5th. My other frustration is with my finish. I'd checked out the course before the race and I knew there was a timing mat at 4km, and then a sharp left bend about 50m before the finish. I left my kick until then, and went over the line less than a second behind another girl (who I think won a prize!). So lesson number 2: start pushing further out from the line.

All racing is still good experience, and I'm happy with my level of fitness now so overall it was a good race!

I'm definitely going to keep up the swimming and core/strengthening, because it looks like it's making a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment