Friday 7 October 2011

Where's summer?

Ok, I know it's only just officially spring, but normally in Brisbane that should mean that it feels like summer already. Qld has 2 seasons: a short (very mild) winter, and a long humid summer that lasts for about 8 months. Last year was a bit strange, with all the extra rain that we had - and then the floods. I hope this year's not the same. Today (and the past few days) has been rainy, and colder than average. It makes for good running weather at least!

As I had planned, I spent 2 weeks doing easy aerobic runs and started getting back in the habit of the weekend long run. I didn't do massive kms but it was more about consistency. The most significant day was last thur - I ran 11km in the morning, then went to the gym in the afternoon and spent 1hr 15min on the bike (just easy pedalling), plus a short swim. My long run was just 17km, hopefully this week I'll do 20km.

I'm making more of an effort with cross training at the moment. I've started doing BodyRock, which is HIIT and intense. I generally modify the workouts a little bit so far, because they freak me out but I'm building up to it and I think that the variety is really good for me. I like that each day is slightly different!

I've been back in Brisbane this week, which meant a reintroduction to speed. Most of my squad is running in Melbourne this weekend, so tuesday was about short, sharp workouts. We did 200m and 400m, both with 200m recovery. I knew it would be a lighter session, so I decided to run there and home which made it up to around 17km total. I've never added extra kms to a speed session before, it was a great idea! I was buggered by the time I got home but the sets weren't compromised at all by the extra long warmup. My times averaged between 41 and 43 sec for the 200m (we did 6), I went out way to hard in the 400m so it started with 1:27 for the first couple, then blew out to 1:39, then finished off with a few at 1:34 (which is the pace I should've started with...)

Today's speed session wasn't really speed. There were 3 of us there, and the 2 others are running the marathon on sunday. They wanted to do an easy run, which was more of a comfortable (but not easy!) pace for me. They're both a fair bit faster than me and it was good to have a chance to run together for once. Normally we do intervals and just pass each other going in the opposite directions!

We've bought a house! Super exciting. It will go unconditional on monday. When we move into the house it's the perfect opportunity for me to buy a bike. I hate the thought of riding on roads, but our new house has a bike path at the end of the street and is really close to other bike friendly routes. Massive win! I also plan on getting a wind trainer so that I can exercise at home after dark.

I'm away again next week, and I'll be in the middle of nowhere. I won't be able to run much, luckily I've got bodyrock as an option now!

Diet's been average. I've definitely made a positive change with breakfast, and I'm thinking more about what I'm having for lunch. I think I need to be a bit more proactive with it all, but it's so much easier to let J do all the cooking. One big change has been planning what I'm going eat throughout the day. I used to wait until lunchtime to decide what I felt like, but now I've been deciding way before that point so I'm less tempted to sneak in a chocolate bar, or to eat other junk.

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment