Monday 5 September 2011

Where I'm at

I've decided to write a blog to document my attempts to reduce the amount of processed food in my life, and also as a place to talk about my favourite pastime - running.

We tend to eat quite healthily, but my favourite meals are the ones that we make from scratch, and this is something that I want to do more often! J and I both work full time, but we've got the advantage of visiting our respective parents a couple times during the week, which cuts required dinners to 5 per week (less if we go out on the weekend). We also currently waste a bit of food, so making left overs more appealing will be part of the challenge.

This week I have started making my own breakfasts instead of eating pre-made cereal. I've been using this breakfast cookie recipe as a start: http://fitnessista.com/2008/11/something-worth-waking-up-for/

My version (to be prepared the night before):

1/4 cup oats (I'm using quick cooking at the moment because that's what was in the pantry - no waste!)
A sprinkle of chia seeds
Large spoonful of natural peanut butter
Generous squeeze of honey

I mix it all together, making sure the PB is all spread out. Then I add milk (I use regular low fat) - just enough to make sure it's all wet. I've also tried it with almond butter and blackstrap molasses, which would be healthier but just doesn't seem quite so tasty!

I really like the fact that there are only 5 ingredients, and I know what's in all of them. Regular cereal can be such a big unknown, with extra salt and sugar, and who knows what else.

I'm not changing my diet to lose weight, just to be healthier. I also think that food is something that's so enjoyable when it's done right!

No comments:

Post a Comment